Millions of commercial trucks share the road with passenger cars every year, and many of them use the roads and highways in Tennessee, Mississippi, and Arkansas to get where they need to be. While most truck drivers try to follow the rules, the sheer number of trucks on the road—from cross-country 18-wheelers to local delivery vans—means that accidents are almost inevitable. When truckers and trucking companies cut corners or fail to prioritize safety, the likelihood of an accident rises even further.
Unfortunately, truck accidents come with a price that is often paid by the accident victims and their families. Commercial trucks are much larger and heavier than most passenger cars, and collisions often mean that the person in the smaller vehicle is very seriously injured or killed. The aftermath of an accident can be a time of pain, panic, and confusion for families, and many victims feel like they have been thrust into an overwhelming situation that they didn’t ask for. However, if you have come to our site today because you or a family member has been hurt in an accident with a heavy truck, you should know that you can get help—and you can succeed in asserting your rights.
What Victims of Serious Truck Wrecks Need to Know
There’s a lot to learn about the legal system and the insurance industry after you’ve been seriously injured or a family member has been killed. Unlike car accidents, commercial truck accidents often involve a number of people with different goals in an injury claim, including:
- Professional drivers with their careers on the line
- Trucking companies hoping to avoid or minimize their liability
- Insurance companies and their adjusters, who are trained to minimize the amount the company must pay
- Seriously injured victims and surviving family members, who need help with the financial burden of the accident
If you or someone you love has recently been involved in an accident with a large truck or 18-wheeler, here are some important things you should know about the situation you currently face:
- You need—and deserve—appropriate medical care. Your health should be a priority. It is important that you go to the emergency room or see your doctor immediately after an accident, and you should also follow your doctor’s recommendations while you recover. This ensures that you get the care you need for your injuries, and it can also help you protect your rights and document what happened to you.
- You may have the right to seek compensation for what happened to you and your family. Although some accidents can’t be prevented, trucking companies have a responsibility to follow numerous laws and regulations for safe operation. When they fail to follow those rules, and someone is hurt or killed as a result, they can be held financially responsible for the victims’ losses. This might include compensation for medical care, follow-up therapies, predicted future needs, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more.
- The trucking company and its insurance company do not necessarily have your best interests in mind. Many victims of truck accidents don’t understand their rights, but trust the trucking company to take care of their needs. Unfortunately, this can be a mistake. The trucking company will take action to protect itself, and that can sometimes mean taking advantage of people who don’t understand the industry or the legal system. While the representatives of the trucking and insurance companies may seem sympathetic to your needs, it is important to remember that it is their job to protect the companies they work for.
- The legal help you choose can make a big difference in your case. Not all lawyers are the same. To succeed in a serious truck accident case, you need to find an attorney who understands the laws, understands the trucking industry, and has the experience and financial resources to take the case to trial when necessary. An experienced advocate for truck accident victims can almost always help to resolve these kinds of cases more quickly and more effectively.
Help From Experienced Attorneys in Memphis
At Holton Law Firm, our experience and proven results set us apart from our competition. We handle cases effectively and professionally, and we get great results on behalf of our clients. We have many years of experience working on tough truck accident cases that involve complex medical and legal elements, and we believe in keeping clients informed at every step.
Let us help you while you work on recovering from your injuries. To learn more about the legal services we provide, or to get answers about your specific situation, contact our Memphis law office at 888-443-4387.