Medication errors stem from a number of different mistakes—including wrong dose, wrong medication, and wrong patient—and they can lead to serious injury and even death. It’s important to understand the steps to take if you suspect you’ve suffered an injury because of a doctor’s medication error. An attorney can help and advise you on whether or not you have a case.
Symptoms of a Medication Error
Identifying a medication error can be difficult since it’s possible you’re already dealing with an illness or injury, and knowing when something significant is wrong can be tricky without proper medical training. However, you may have a case for a medication error if you’re experiencing telling symptoms, including:
- Damage to the nervous system, which can result in tingling, loss of feeling, or paralysis
- Damage to the organs or organ failure
- Loss of senses or diminished sensory functionality
- Cardiac arrest, stroke, or coma
If you’re experiencing one of these symptoms you believe stems from a medication error, it’s important to look toward the future and your potential medical malpractice claim. The following steps may help you earn a fair recovery:
- Seek immediate medical attention, if you haven’t already, to make sure you’re safe and your condition has stabilized.
- Request a copy of your medical records, ensuring every test and all doctors’ notes are included.
- Keep a journal about your condition, how you feel every day, and any changes you experience in your illness or injury.
- Make sure the error is reported to the proper authority when you’ve confirmed an error occurred.
- Call an attorney with experience representing medication error victims.
We Can Help
Not every strange symptom means a medication error, but errors do happen—even though they are preventable. Suffering a medication error could mean you need more medical attention and may result in medical bills, time off work and lost wages, and pain and suffering. The team at the Holton Law Firm wants to listen to your story, review the evidence, and help you build a strong case. Fill out the online contact form on our website to get started today.