Aggressive drivers pose a threat to everyone on the road. Their disregard for the safety of other motorists makes them as dangerous as drunk and distracted drivers. In fact, the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety reports that more than half of all traffic fatalities are caused by some form of aggressive driving. Learn how to recognize, avoid, and report an aggressive driver in Tennessee.
Spotting an Aggressive Driver
Some aggressive driving behaviors are obvious, but drivers often accept this behavior rather than make an effort to avoid and report it. According to the Tennessee Traffic Safety Resource Service (TTSRS), the following behaviors are typical of aggressive drivers:
- Driving at excessive speeds
- Following too closely
- Changing lanes frequently and abruptly without notice
- Passing on the shoulder or unpaved portions of the roadway
- Leering at and/or threatening other motorists—verbally or through hand or facial gestures
- Running stop signs
- Weaving in and out of traffic
- Passing on the right
- Screaming, honking, and flashing lights
Sometimes these actions are in response to a careless or slow action from another driver, but many aggressive drivers have no reason for their behavior.
What to Do When You Encounter an Aggressive Driver
It is never wise to take on an aggressive driver. In a worst-case scenario, the driver may come after you. TTSRS recommends the following:
- Make every effort to get out of the way.
- Do not challenge him by speeding up or attempting to hold your own in your travel lane.
- Wear your seat belt. It will hold you in your seat and behind the wheel in case you need to make an abrupt driving maneuver, and it will protect you in a crash.
- Avoid eye contact.
- Ignore gestures and refuse to return them.
Report Aggressive Drivers in Tennessee
You can always dial 911 to report an accident or other traffic emergency, but the Tennessee Highway Patrol also provides assistance when you dial *THP. Use this number to report aggressive driving to authorities. Try to make note of the car’s make, model, and color and, if possible, the license plate number.
Call the Holton Law Firm If You Are Injured
If you are injured in a collision with an aggressive driver, you may need the help of a Memphis car accident attorney. Call the Holton Law Firm to discuss your case.